7.25.2010

{rocks my soul}

Today's summers look a lot different than my childhood summers. Now, I'm often rushing back and forth from one task to another. Marking off my to do list items and hoping to catch a late afternoon nap inbetween the chaos. I was reminded this weekend of how slow summer should be. It should be slow and full of the people that help(ed) to define you.

I spent my weekend out in the country with mountains that cover all four sides of my aunt and uncle's house. A lil house that's full of pictures of cousins, aunts, uncles, and even a few old ones of me. A house were grace is always present-around tables, and in conversations. A big dog lounged around in the heat and lil feet ran across the hardwood. There was even a pool in the backyard. Imagine jumping into the water on a 102 degree day and looking out only to see mountains and sky. These are the things that summer should be made of.

I miss that kinda stuff. When you live alone you lose perspective of relationships sometimes. I get used to my small quiet space. Most people go on small breaks for quiet. Not me, I go away for loud children jumping in and out of pools (by the way-swimming is much more fun when lil people are involved), cookouts with 75+ people (no joke), late night card games, a concert with thousands of people, 4am dance/sing offs, homemade food, and laughter that makes your sides hurt. I love that kinda stuff.

The past 3 days reminded me of my childhood. My parents always had a full house. When I was little my parents had a tight group of friends. They were in their late 20's...all of 'em had babies...they'd put us all in one room to play (for hours) and I remember hearing them playing cards, laughing, sharing stories and time, etc. I loved that. Those close friends became our honorary aunts and uncles. Their children were like cousins or siblings to us. My parents used to hold huge cook outs. Everyone brought a dish. The adults played horse shoes or they would sit in chairs and laugh until late at night. Our little tan bodies would run around catching lightning bugs, jumping off swings, hitting baseballs, running through the clothes hanging on the clothesline, and eventually we'd settle inside for a late night movie-the adults still outside talking. Now as an adult...I bet those were some of the best times for my parents. They understood community. Surrounded by people they loved and by people who loved them. Surrounded in safety. We were all wrapped in summer nights that never seemed to end.

I loved those nights. I still love those nights. Do you know the song, The Mystic, by Van Morrison? Well, if that plays I can go back to those nights at any point. Especially if it's on vinyl...the crack popping noise that is owned by a record player. Oh my. Download it on itunes-not nearly as good as a record but you can't help but smile.

"We were born before the wind...also younger than the sun."

My favorite line from that song? "I wanna rock your gypsy soul...just like way back in the days of old."

...if you could see the smile on my face. :)

1 comment: