The above couple is by far one of my favorites. Ashley joined our small group back in March. She came in with a great attitude, a genuine heart, and a smile that could warm even the most hardened hearts. She was planning a wedding, and spoke very highly of the love of her life...Myron. Myron joined us around May. He's this strong Christian man with a desire to please the Lord, and a love for his wife, their daughter Kayli, and the new lil one on the way that would melt your heart. This couple loves in a way that is so inspiring to watch. They live their vows out. I.heart.that.
They have a little one on the way. The Green Room is THRILLED to have a "mascot". I've been documenting her baby bump progress. We take a picture each month, and we celebrate the gift of new life. I am in awe of this miracle. Most of us have seen a pregnant woman-they glow. Ashley is glowing. I am in awe of how precious she is to watch. Her hands almost always go to her baby bump-like she's already protecting him/her. Funny how as a woman that's our first instinct. Even before baby comes-a mother is protective.
A few weeks ago, they invited me to go in for their 5 month ultrasound. This is the one where they find out if baby is a he or a she. What a blessing it is/was that they would even consider asking me to share in this day. I have never witnessed something so cool. They squirted the gel on her belly, and moved the wand around. I'm looking at this black & white blob and then I see it...a head, a little mouth, eyes, tiny hands, two sweet little feet, a spine, baby ribs...and then beating so quickly..baby's heart. My eyes filled with tears. In that moment a lot of things made sense. This is a perk to the life that God allows us. Seeing the heart beat is one thing...hearing it is a completely different experience. It's like a fast swooshing sound. Quick..loud...full force. Wow. How can one ever lack faith in God after seeing the miracle of an unborn child?
I began to think about so many things. How can I encourage Ashley and Myron as they prepare to be parents? How can I help raise this little one so that he/she knows Jesus? How can I care for them as a family? I began to also think about how sweet it is that Myron and Ashley allowed me to be a part of this day. I caught a glimpse of what I hope for one day. When the technician asked if they wanted to find out...I just held my breath. This is what we were waiting for. I watched Ashley and Myron's faces...full of hope...full of promise...full of love. She wiggled the wand around on Ashley's belly, and kept whispering, "wake up baby..wake up." And then she uttered those three little words..."It's a .....boy!!!" Immediately my eyes filled up. You see it didn't matter what the technician said we all would've cried. The sex doesn't matter...the life does. I could feel the breath of Jesus in that room. The breath of hope, faith, joy, mercy, grace, and it was all wrapped into one-love.
Baby Shenk's story began five months ago. I wonder a lot of things. Who will he look like? Will baby have mama's sweet/kind nature? Perhaps, her delicately shaped face? Or will baby be more like his daddy? A strong spirit, with an ear always lifted to the Lord? Perhaps, baby Shenk will be the perfect mix. This baby is already perfect. Regardless of which traits baby gets from mom or dad...what a sweet little life it'll be. This baby will be loved in the way that every child deserves. This baby will be raised with a strong faith, and an understanding of who Jesus is. I can't wait to meet this little one...to hold, to love, to cherish new life. I can't wait to kiss this little one's head, and whisper sweet prayers in his ear. There can't possibly be anything better.
Thank you to Ashley and Myron for letting me share in your day. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. I love you both more than words.
No comments:
Post a Comment