I have a heart for mission’s work. Now, let me start this by saying I have technically never gone on a mission trip. I’ve never held the hands of those suffering in a third world country. I’ve never spent a night on the street with the homeless. I’ve never built a church for another community. Nor have I ever put myself in physical danger for the God that I love. So, if I’ve never done those things then how do I know that I have a heart for mission work?
A few years ago when I was at Longwood University I was determined that I was going to join the Peace Corps. I filled out the paperwork and read countless journal entries from those who had served/those who were currently serving. I was determined to use my degree to help others. To help those who had no chance. To help those who were forgotten. To help those who knew so little. To offer hope. I.was.pumped. The paperwork never got turned in because God had different plans.
I was thinking about this tonight in fact. What mission is my God sending me on? Am I already on it? Am I too caught up in my own daily junk to even recognize what it is that I am supposed to do? My answer: Yes, I am too caught up in my daily mess. And, no, I know exactly what I should be doing. I do it everyday. What do I do you ask?
Well, each day I work with 22 of God’s most precious individuals. I hold the hands of the little ones who are often not heard. I put band aids on minor cuts/scraps. I listen to heartbreaking stories told through a 6 year olds perspective. I watch as children in our own county see things that no child is ever meant to see. I rejoice with them when they learn to read, and when they define the idea of community far better than most adults I know. I sit with them when they are sad. I smile with them when they are happy. I watch as they try to make sense of their parents not having enough time, money, and sometimes even food.
Am I always good at those things? No. To be honest I fall short on most days. I’m exhausted. I am overwhelmed by the need, and overwhelmed by the gift. Most days I feel jaded because of the system. Most days I feel helpless because I can only be an ear, or a hug. I can never be enough. There is only one me, and often times that single fact makes me feel very insignificant. That makes me feel very, very small. I feel bogged down with the need, and the lack of supply. In my opinion, this is mission work. I know that I am small, but I find comfort in knowing that I do not serve a small God. As Christians, each day of our lives is some form of mission work. I do not say this to undervalue those who are or who have currently served somewhere else. I am in awe of those serving. However, my thought tonight is: How can I do that out there if I am not doing it at home?
Now, each minute of my 12 hour day is not all bad. I don’t mean it to sound like that. It’s just a lot for me to think about. It makes me rethink my attitude. It makes me rethink the words that come out of my mouth daily. It makes me rethink my actions. Well, it plainly just makes me rethink.
Why are we here? It surely isn’t to worry about what clothes we’ll wear or what we’ll do this coming weekend or what restaurant is the best. Sure, some of those things may have their place…they are apart of life, and I believe God does want us to enjoy our life. But life is much bigger than all the junk we fuel ourselves with. This life should be about serving. It should be about others. It should be about bringing A LOT of Jesus down here. That’s it. Bottom line.
Shouldn’t I be putting as much into a day with my 22 first graders as I would if I were dishing out soup to those who have no food? Shouldn’t I be a walking example of a Christian when I teach math or reading as much as I would be if I were hammering nails in a rising church building? Shouldn’t I always live for Him? The answer: heck yes.
The way I see it-God is just setting the foundation in my heart. He’s laying it all down. He’s saying to me, “Use that passion, and use it wisely…use it daily.” This is it. This is the only life I get…I better live it...today.
So, I ask you:
What is your mission?
"Isn't it comforting to know that we serve a God that we cannot exaggerate?"~Frances Chan
No comments:
Post a Comment