10.19.2009

Teachable Moment...

I've been unplugged for four days...four days. That's unheard of in my world & it's not because I wanted to be...I had the flu, wait, I have the flu. Today (day 4) is my first day of being up and moving (slowly..s-l-o-w-l-y.) It hurt to move, it hurt to talk, it hurt to think. I left school, early, on Friday and from 1:30pm til 9pm I slept. I woke up and felt worse than I did before I slept. I spent Saturday, Sunday, and most of Monday passed out. Waking only to take drugs, and to try to drink soup.

I like teachable moments. Here's what I learned:

The world doesn't stop because I 'unplug'...

-a friend became engaged.
-another friend gave an encouraging/inspiring sermon at church.
-my youth group kids performed at Focus (and missed the pizza party by 1...DOH!)
-my pastor and his wife made it to South Africa.
-my wheezy breathing is ridiculously scary at 2am...nothing like spending 2am alone-pitying your sick self-not able to cry because it hurts and takes too much air.
-New Moon's soundtrack was released & good from what I hear...
-Sammy got the flu.
-It sucks to not have cable when you want mindless tv (esp once it doesn't hurt to watch it.)
-One can drive to the Dr with a 102 fever and make it back home. (I don't recommend it and I'll never do it again, ok mom?)
-Grey's Anatomy Season 1 was just as good as I remember.
-Glee is a phenomenal show.
-I take for granted health insurance and medicine. I WILL remember this the next time I gripe about that 'chunk' coming out of my paycheck each month.
-I really love my job. And I miss my 19 kids. Seriously. Sick, huh? :D
-My voice sounds like a man, seriously, like a man. Still. Today. Will it go back to normal?


and the list goes on. This was important for me to know. No, not because I thought the world revolved around me but because I.am.not.super.human.

I've been pulling 14hr + days. I've been waking up in the middle of the night with thoughts like:

-Did I make copies of am work?
-Did I respond to such and such's email?
-Crap, did I remember to send such and such's mom a note tellin them that he/she was out of lunch money?
-Double crap, I need to remember to talk about blankity blank at _____________.
-I really need to make sure I monitor such and such's writing...they don't seem to be getting blah blah blah blah blah


blah blah blah blah.....and so on and so on....

I even saw visions of my calendar and each night was FULL. Each night. Even weekends.

Really?!?!? The world WILL go on. Here's my problem...I LOVE what I do. I love my job, I love the small group I'm able to be apart of, and I LOVE small group coaching. There lies the danger. When I love what I'm doing...I go full force...100% all out. I am unbelievably thankful for each area of my life but I need to remember to sloooooow down.

I have to monitor my days or else I'll pass out & wake up ___ days later. Sick as a dog, slow functioning, and thanking God that I can breathe again.


*Pluggin' back in...S-L-O-W-L-Y...*

PS Seriously, my voice is still scary & manly. ekk.

2 comments:

  1. I love you even if you have a manly voice.

    Get better soon.

    Seriously.

    And don't forget what you have learned.

    Looking forward to seeing you again SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog and getting to know you more. i am glad you are feeling better, manly voice or not. i have a free manicure pass for you when you are up and about and ready to take some slow downed 'me' time!

    ReplyDelete