10.26.2009

Today.

Today marks the day that I put my forehead to my dad’s and kept saying, “I can’t do this. I can’t do this. I can’t do this.” His cold, clammy forehead. If I hadn’t of touched him I’d think he was only sleeping. His curls still held tight. His hands still calloused. But his chest didn’t rise to fall.

That was two years ago. Today. It still hurts. Nobody gets this hurt. I can mask a lot of things. I use a lot of exclamation points, I smile a lot, and I rely on that smile to mask some of the pain. Today I won't pretend if I'm not feelin' it. It is what it is. I won’t tell myself to stop nor will I tell myself to suck it up.

Today:

I’m going to let myself miss my dad.
I’m going to let myself cry.
Or just let myself be what I need to be.


I read this recently and it all hit home. Donald Miller put into words what I never could.

"After a tragedy, I think God gives us a period of numbing as a kind of grace. Perhaps he knows our small minds, given so easily to false hope, couldn't handle the full brunt of reality."

"I knew then the shock was wearing off. A certain fear grew. They don't have an emergency room for the kind of pain that is about to happen to me, I thought."

3 comments:

  1. I love you.

    Thinking and praying for you today...

    (((hug)))
    (a big one)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHtiRfhP-8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Margaret...I am thinking of you on this difficult day. My mom died 32 years ago and the anniversary of her death is always hard. Of course, I think of her every day, not just on that one. Lucky for me, my little Paul was born on the EXACT same day 27 years later! Can you believe that?! It turned a day that I dreaded into a day of happiness. I KNOW this is not a coincidence....it's God! I hope that some day, you'll have something special to replace the sadness with. God can do remarkable things! Take care ~ Karen Bonner

    ReplyDelete