11.12.2008

John 11:35

I first learned about this passage in John shortly after my dad passed away. I was watching one of Rob Bell's NOOMA DVDs. It was on grief. Rob was talking about how it's okay to grieve, it's okay to be whatever we needed to be because even Jesus wept.

Now, this passage talks about Jesus going into Lazarus' village after he passed. He walked into a community FILLED with grief. Many blaming him. Many saying, "Jesus you could've saved him." Imagine being Jesus. He also was filled with grief because he had lost a good friend. While he's trying to manage the loss, he's managing other's pain, and the blame. I love John 11:35 it's so simple, and so short. "Jesus wept." Jesus felt all of that pain, and he did what we all do when we are overcome with emotion-he wept.

This passage stands out to me down because things are overwhelming right now. Two familys from church have been affected by house fires. One family lost a mother, and the other family lost all material possessions. Out of the two familys I am good friends with one of them. The Kirtner family in this moment has defined strength. Beth's words were, "Atleast we all made it out. It's a miracle." She is praising the goodness of God in the midst of the ashes. Literal ashes. Reminds me of the story of Job.

I wish that my pockets were as deep as my heart. I've always been the person that is overwhelmed by things that happen. Whether they are good or bad. Often times I can only cry because I am filled with much emotion. My heart hurts for people who struggle. My heart rejoices for those who survive the struggle. My heart is overwhelmed by watching people just give, and give, and give. Especially in times where our entire economy struggles.

I am reminded by that one verse in John that it's okay to weep. Jesus did. My hero even wept. That provides me with comfort, with hope, and with a sense of healing.

I am inspired as I watch my community stretch out their hands to help those in need. I am inspired to see such an incredible outpouring. Jesus is fully alive in my heart, and he is fully alive in the community in which I live.


I am so proud.

2 comments: